Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Stepping Out

Today marks 69 days since Jim received his new heart. The days seem to be going faster than I can count. He is able to do so much more than he has been able to in a long, long time. He is able to walk up to the barn (out building) without having to sit down or feel like he has to lay down. We recently went to Cheaha mountain and we semi hiked to Bald Rock. They have a super nice porch all the way out there so handicap and disabled individuals can still enjoy Bald Rock. He didn't need it this time. It was amazing to see him walk over rocks and over little inclines without having to sit down or feel like he was going to pass out. What I like most of all is that he is able to preach the gospel, without struggling like he did. He is such a huge help to me. He is a great Bible student and helps so many to understand the Word in practical ways.
Now for some downers. He shakes like a leaf on a windy day. This is due to all the medicines he is on. Even when he is in bed, he is just trembling. He can't stop it and he has trouble sleeping because of it. He doesn't hardly like to eat anything anymore. He likes Mexican but other than that he will eat fruit, fruit and then more fruit. He has mood swings...like a woman going through THE CHANGE. He is good in the morning then about lunch time he can be as ill as can be. Then at night time he is giddy. It is frustrating, funny and challenging all at the same time. I definitely can't wear my heart on my sleeve. He still needs his naps but over all he is doing good.
We go for the 10th week biopsy tomorrow. It is like a small family reunion each time we go to the doctor. You become so close to them and you hate to leave them because they take such good care of you. I ask for your prayers as Jim will be going through blood work, chest x-ray, echo, EKG, heart cath and biopsy. If you don't know already, the biopsy is where they have a claw like device that they put through his neck and actually pull off pieces of his new heart. They like to get 4-5 pieces. Jim is awake during this process and can feel it. It is quite dangerous but must be done in order to check for rejection.
Through various sermons that I listen to and the godly counsel that I receive from those I trust, I have recently challenged myself to STEP OUT. It can be quite consuming to live the life that I do. I struggle with health problems daily, try to take care of my husband,, raise my two children and then there is the dogs, the house and the yard. Above all that I earnestly seek to be the best Christian I can be. If I can do that then I will be a better person, wife, mother and even take care of material things better. I have been focusing on myself and Jim to the point that I have lost touch with others that need my help. I rarely have a moment to spare but when I do...I want to and know I am more determined than ever to help someone else. I need to step out of my world, my problems, and help others. I have lost sight so to speak that others desperately need me and what better way to raise your children to know and love the Lord than the path of a servant. I ask for your prayers that at any moment that I can, I will take advantage of serving others. It is what gives me the greatest joy in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment