Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Silent Doctor's Visit


Silence is the best way to describe our visit to the doctor on March 31. The entire staff acted like they didn’t know what to say. They asked us how we were since they told us he was not on the list and we simply replied, “We’re good.” We went over his medicines and issues that he has been having. Then a student doctor came in. He checked out Jim thoroughly but I was wondering where Dr. Moore was. Finally, I just ask and it seemed as though he was going to try and avoid us if possible. He came in later and discussed the test results. I asked him several pointed questions about patients with transposition and the results, transposition and not having a transplant, and transplant and signs to watch for. Basically, there is nothing more they can do for Jim except to use medications to ease his symptoms. They wanted an echo so we went and the lady took a long time and got some good pictures. I could see how hard his heart was trying to work, I could see the scar tissue has grown, I could even see some stiffing. Dr. Johnson at UAB would walk us through his echoes so I could tell what was going on to some degree. After that, the transplant coordinator told us to come back in 3 MONTHS. Wow, three months….I just thought you really are just going to let him progressively get worse. It is a sad and hard fact that I have to face every day. The insurance and financial aspect of the transplant was mentioned at least 3 times. If something changes, I am to notify them immediately. It is true that money can move mountains in some cases. They don’t know that God has already moved that mountain and we are just waiting to see the wonderful things he has planned for us.

We got to talk to a lot of friends from MSOP. They heard an update at the lectureships and called us. It was good to hear from them. We got a visit from the Coldwater's. It was good to see their beautiful family. Once they arrived, I felt like I was in Memphis again. It is so nice to be around people who no matter how long it has been since you saw them you can just fall into a comfortable pattern with them all over again. Kelly has been a tremendous help to me. She listens and listens and then listens some more. I thank God for her Christian example, support and unconditional love.

Jim’s fatigue has become worse. He struggled through trying to preach Sunday. He has to rest more and more with each passing day. He gets up to do something and the next thing you know he is sitting down to rest. When we go to town or church, he has to sit or lean on something. He tries so hard to cover up how bad he feels. He knows I can see right through it but most people think that he is maintaining pretty good. If they could be a fly on the wall at our house they would truly see how he is.
I am so thankful for all the encouragement that we continue to get. Jim now has over 225 cards. It is great to go in there and read them over and over. It definitely picks you up. I want to thank Dr. McCarty who because of our situation waved his fee to clean and take care of Julianna’s teeth. I felt like crying…I just bowed my head and thanked the Lord for being so good to us. Thanks to all for what you do for us. May God richly bless you as you serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment